Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Day 10: Time stands still in Athens.



This exciting sculpture sits at the garden entrance to the National Academy of Dance in Athens.


Athens, Greece is an extraordinary place in the world. The vibrant conversations of its cafe culture resonate within the ancient ruins of a place where civilization thrives.

We have been in town for a few days now resting in luxury at Hotel St. George, Lycabettus. With only a small amount of time in rehearsal, it feels like a greatly needed vacation. I feel..... grateful for this time. I feel homesick for my family. I feel privileged to see the world in this way. I feel great anticipation for our next performances.

Gratitude. Gratitude. Gratitude.

Below are a few images of the Athens I have experienced in these days:




Our breakfast-room view each morning.




I took a stroll through the National Botanical Gardens in the middle of the city. It is a wild place :)


The National Botanical Gardens. Athens, Greece.


Staggeringly beautiful ruins can be viewed many, many places here and some, like the Herodes Atticus Odeon, are still used for public events. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odeon_of_Herodes_Atticus





The Herodes Atticus Odeon. We will dance here next week!     


                                           Here are a few examples of Athenian street art.







The Graham Company had a rehearsal day at the National Academy of Dance here in Athens where my friend, Penny Diamantopoulou teaches Graham technique and repertory. It is a beautiful conservatory where the art of dance is taught and created.





Penny and me out at dinner.

Entryway leading to the National Academy.



Finally, I took some time to write postcards for my family back home and enjoy a Caffe Freddo which is amazingly cool, creamy coffee drink - a local specialty. (I don’t smoke but I thought the ashtray added character). Looking forward to the next stop.




No comments:

Post a Comment